Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Brown Bear vs. Grizzly Bear

During my lunch break, my co-worker Stephanie and I decided to eat out on the tidal flats to enjoy the last of the "summer" weather (50s, overcast..). As we drove out onto the flats, we noticed a few people who were standing next to their cars taking photos of something by the river. Excited, we pulled over our car and scanned the banks, and surely enough we saw a grizzly bear fishing for pink salmon.
We watched for about half an hour before we had to return to work. Just as we were leaving, he decided to head out to. I was so glad we were in a car!
Also, I would like to take this time to clarify a point of confusion for most people (including myself, until today). Although many people use the name brown bear and grizzly bear interchangeably, there is a difference between the two. Grizzly bears live within the interior of Alaska and are known for being slightly smaller. Brown bears, meanwhile, inhabit the coastal region of Alaska, and are known for reaching larger sizes due to their diet of fatty fish. Glad I'm living on the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment