Saturday, August 7, 2010

Fjord Ecosystems


Yesterday was a quiet, damp day out in Dyea which provided me a day to explore a bit more than usual. I drove out to the tidal flats were the salt water harbor meets the glacial-fed Tiaya River in what is termed a fjord. This creates a diverse, dynamic ecosystem characterized by a mosaic of flora adapted to the different types of soil on the tidal flats. At this point in the summer, the fauna is particularly varied as well, as many birds and mammals make their way out for an easy meal.
Two bald eagles sitting side by side, watching the salmon fight upstream.
A group of funny birds- I wish I could identify them, but I'm not too great with ornithology- that flew in a manner that reminded me of a school of fish. They were completely synchornized as they flew up, dove down, and rolled to show their white bellies.
Fresh grizzly bear tracks lined the river, likely from an early morning breakfast.
I came across this print later in the afternoon, but I think it's only a dog. Either way, I made me look over one shoulder as I bent down to take a photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment