Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Spontaneous hiking

Today was a big day off- and I had big plans to spend the day baking, securing a gym membership, and finally finding myself a pillow (it's all about priorities). Those plans were all thrown to the wind when my roommate asked, "If I make banana-buckwheat pancakes, will you help me eat them?" Was she serious? So after enjoying a leisurely breakfast, we decided to tackle Upper and Lower Dewey Lakes, two "rite-of-passage" hikes for anyone living in Skagway.

Although the skies looked a bit foreboding, we reasoned that the clouds had been hanging over town for the past week, so what threat did they really pose? What ensued was one of the most strenuous hikes I've ever done. The trail was a series of switchbacks through the temperate rain forest, yielding few scenic vistas along the way. When we finally reached Upper Dewey Lake, however, I know our arduous climb had been worth it.




We ended the day by making some nontraditional pizzas (including banana-curry, caramelized onion and apple, and crab, kale, and mushroom) and enjoying an early, well-earned night's rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment