Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Biking Around Skagway

After 7 days straight of cloudy, dreary skies, the sun finally came out in Alaska! As a result, the entire town was out hiking, running, biking around town- and smiling. It was eye-opening to finally have a chance to see where I was!
This was the extent of my bike ride- out to the delta of the Skagway River, where the salmon are going to be running soon (word on the street is pink first and then sockeye)!
Alaksan fireweed is one of the few wildflowers in the area, but it has the most beautiful purple hue. I'm still trying to capture it in a photo, but this is fairly close.
I walked around this whole peninsula yelling "hey bear!" to scare away any grizzlies withing earshot. When I finally stumbled upon a group of 6 people having a bonfire, I felt a little silly, so then I switched to singing to myself. Still not sure which was better.... the bears were probably laughing.
I ended with checking out Yakutanea Point, a short hike of less than a mile from my doorstep. Apparently a baby whale has been frequenting this peninsula. I might be too pretty soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment